Wednesday, January 18, 2012

A Piece of Cake for Valentine's Day and Don't Forget the Fork


Why not surprise a friend with a cake this Valentine's Day? This one was made using a variety of old jewelry boxes.
I covered the bottom of the boxes with the sweetest little paper from the Town Square Collection. The tops were covered with a very fine glitter. The boxes were stacked and each box glued to the top of the next box.

I topped my cake with a Jenni Bowlin Chipboard Heart painted with Chewing Gum paint and sprinkled with glitter. A "chocolate" vellum butterfly finishes it off.
Why not "serve" your cake on a vintage plate with a vintage fork?

Wouldn't it be sweet to fill your cake with a variety of vintage surprises? My cake is filled with vintage buttons, a vintage heart pin, old keys, and a wonderful sampling of JBS embellishments.

Speaking of vintage forks ... I've admired the ones I've seen in shops that have been altered to create easels.  I had a few vintage forks on hand, and tried this myself.


I curled the tines with a pair of pliers.  Vintage silver forks are softer and are easier to bend than the everyday stainless steel forks.  This fork had 2 decorative holes in the top which were perfect for threading some seam binding through.  Next time, I'll protect the tines with a rag when I bend them. Because they are fairly soft, they scratch easily.  



The fork easel holds my Valentine display so beautifully!


To create the display, I used a JBS Valentine Bingo Card for my base. I covered it in tulle and added a pretty piece of mini pattern paper from the Baby of Mine collection.  A scalloped notecard is placed on top of that.  I cut out the frame center from the Homespun journaling card, fit our wedding picture underneath, and sewed that onto the notecard.



The paper foil is from a past Mercantile kit and I used a Malted Milk ink pad to give it a creamier color.  The sweet little embroidered flower is from the lace found in the Flea Market section of Mercantile.  

Jenni's products bring such a classic and timeless look to Valentine's Day projects.  And it is amazing how her different lines work so well together.   Keep watching the blog as more of the design team posts their creations!




Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. I was still processing the coolness of the "cake" when I hit that genius easel! Thanks for such "delicious" inspiration! *smile*

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are the most creative ideas! So awesome, Betsy!

    ReplyDelete